How To Create An Augmented Reality App : Aalpha
Augmented reality is an innovative technology that has gained a lot of popularity over the last few years. Moreover, it provides an enhanced view of the real world and provides an exhilarating experience. Augmented reality is important and beneficial to all types of businesses. More importantly, the rise in its popularity is because people now recognize its practical applications in various fields like healthcare, fashion, sports, tourism, and maps, retail, eCommerce, marketing, etc.
Augmented reality is a layer of extra information and artificial objects that are added to the tech-aided perception of the world. It is a mixture of the real world and virtual reality. Moreover, a device that has AR technology has software that recognizes an object or a symbol or an image and enriches it by adding relevant content creating layered visualization while making them look real.
The range of AR apps is wide. Notably, these apps have the capacity to highlight crucial aspects, improve understands, and provide timely and accessible data. Its prime aim is to add artificial objects to reality and offer a better experience.
Here are some important decisions you need to take if you want to Create An Augmented Reality App.
The first step of creating an app is to decide what type of app you want. The AR apps are of two types;
Marker-based apps: These apps use image recognition by using B&W markers as triggers. Moreover, to use these apps the users need to point the camera into position. Building a marker-based app requires hard-coding the object on the app making it easy for it to recognize it.
Location-based apps: These AR apps do not need any markers as they rely on digital compasses, accelerometers, and GPS to provide information.
Selecting the right SDK for your AR app is important. Here are some main factors that need to consider to make the right decision.
If you are a beginner then it is better to go for an open-source AR SDK. It provides support and it has the support of an active community. Moreover, it is also the most affordable option as it is free. As the app develops you can switch to paid SDKs for better features but a free one is enough to get started.
There are several platforms available if you want the app to be compatible with Android and iOS. The options are limited for macOS and Windows. However, it is a smart move to choose platforms that offer more variety.
Unity is the most popular and commonly used game engine so the app you are creating should have Unity support. Whether you are creating an AR app or a game, use Unity so that there is no compatibility issue moving forward.
There are several software options you can use to create an augmented reality app. Here is a list of the most common ones you can choose from.
Vuforia is a common and popular choice.
- The first step is to set up Vuforia
- Feed or upload a database containing objects or characteristics onto the project. It is pretty extensive so you need to download the unity package or Database
- Set a target so that the app has something to compare with its database and successfully identify objects
- Make a list of the features of the target image
- Go to Unity and start a new project
- Choose an appropriate template and select a storage location
- Go to the XR settings tab and choose Vuforia AR option
- Select Vuforia AR camera which is an appropriate camera option for accepting live feed
- Open the Unity project and add database marker
- Take care of the required configuration
- Use the license key and check the database to make sure that it is properly loaded
- Test the functionality of the app by opening and running the camera
- Choose a target image to set up and add a little bit of AR around the chosen marker
- Create a layout of the augmented reality that you want to create by adding different objects
- The final step is to run the application by opening the camera
- If it runs smoothly you will have your augmented reality app
Augmented reality tools are gaining more and more popularity with time. These apps are not limited to just one industry. They have become a part of almost every industry as they assist businesses in providing better and more memorable customer service. Creating an AR app from the scratch is challenging but also worth the effort as it is a promising venture.
To keep up with the competition it is important to stay up-to-date and reap the benefits AR has to offer. Use your imagination and you will be able to find ways to incorporate AR in your business and reap its benefits.
Ultimately, if you are planning to build an augmented reality then contact Aalpha.
Originally published at https://www.aalpha.net on September 29, 2020.